Researchers at Princeton University report that sugar-loving mice demonstrate all three criteria of addiction: increased intake, withdrawal, and cravings that lead to relapse. Previous work has shown that mice deprived of food for several hours and then allowed to binge on sugar water (with concentrations similar to that of soft drinks) soon developed addictive behaviors. Sugar intake causes the release of dopamine in the brain, a reward chemical. After a month of sugar binging and increased dopamine levels, the rats’ brains developed fewer dopamine receptors and more opioid receptors–changes similar to those observed in mice on cocaine and heroine. When their sugar supply was suddenly cut off, the mice exhibited signs of withdrawal, including teeth-chattering, anxiety, and refusing to leaving their tunnels. The latest research showed that when these mice were offered sugar once again, they worked harder to attain it and consumed more than ever. (Discover magazine, December 2008)
Unfortunately there is one more element that adds to your sugar/carbohydrate addiction – Candida. Candida or yeast live in everyone’s body and stay balanced until you upset the environment. Sugar is the main fuel source for the overgrowth of yeast and once the yeast is out of balance it compounds the cravings for sugar and carbohydrates. So now you have a viscous cycle of sugar cravings stemming from your brain receptors wanting a fix and candida overgrowth.
Because sugar is addictive, food manufacturers put it in at least 80% of the products in your grocery store, such as breads, salt, package meals, dressing, crackers, meats, etc. Please read your ingredient labels. Most consumers don’t know that the following are sweeteners which can contribute to candida overgrowth and cravings:
Sugar And Other Sweeteners
- Agave nectar
- Aspartame (NutraSweet)
- Barley malt
- Brown rice syrup
- Brown sugar
- Corn syrup
- Fruit juice sweetened
- Maple syrup
- Raw/evaporated cane juice
- Sucralose (Splenda)
Nancy Appleton’s book,Lick the Sugar Habit points out 59 reasons why sugar ruins your health…here are a few off the list:
- Sugar may cause hyperacidity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating and crankiness in children.
- Sugar produces a significant rise in triglycerides.
- Sugar can lead to cancer of the breast, ovaries, intestines, prostate or rectum.
- Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
- Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
- Sugar can cause signs of premature aging.
- Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
- Sugar contributes to obesity.
- Sugar increases the risk of Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Sugar can cause symptoms often found in people with gastric and duodenal ulcers.
- Sugar can lead to arthritis.
- Sugar can contribute to asthma.
- Sugar can cause Candida albicans (yeast infection).
- Sugar can contribute to gallstones.
- Sugar can lead to heart disease.
- Sugar can cause appendicitis.
- Sugar can lead to multiple sclerosis.
Sugar can contribute to varicose veins.
Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
- Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
- Sugar can cause food allergies.
- Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
- Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
- Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
- Sugar can contribute to sagging skin by changing the structure of collagen.
- Sugar can lead to cataracts.
- Sugar can cause emphysema.
- Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
What Steps Can I Take?
- Stick to a diet of protein and vegetables. Eliminate grains, beans/legumes, and fruits until you feel balanced and energized.
- Take antifungals or probiotics to kill off candida and other microbes.
- Glysen (a supplement for those with hyperglycemia, i.e. diabetes or insulin resistance) – balances sugar regulation, helps with insulin resistance, and diminishes sugar cravings. Signs of hyperglycemia are cravings for sweets/carbs throughout the day, fatigue after meals, craving sweets after a meal, and if one’s waist girth is equal or larger than their hip girth. Call Apex Energetics at 800-736-4381 or (949) 251-0152 – set up a client account using P2017. My recommendation is 1 pill 3x/day after a meal. If you are still fatigued and have intense cravings, double the dose to 2 pills 3x/day. Note: For those on diabetic medication check with your doctor first before taking Glysen and monitor your sugar levels throughout the day, as you might not need as much insulin or medication.
- Gluco abx (a supplement for those with hypoglycemia) – balances sugar regulation and diminish sugar cravings. Signs of hypoglycemia are feeling jittery/shaky if meals are skipped, and eating tends to relieve feelings of fatigue, blurred vision, agitation and irritability. Call Apex Energetics at 800-736-4381 or (949) 251-0152 – set up a client account using P2017. My recommendation is 1 pill 3x/day after a meal for a couple of months until you feel your energy is restored and cravings are gone.
- Do the Candida Cure: 90-Day Program to Beat Candida – not only will your sugar cravings be gone but you will restore vibrant health.
- Incorporate EFT (emotional freedom technique) – method to remove subconscious addiction to sugar.